Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


August 28, 2010

Review: Eyes like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

clip_image003

All her world’s a stage
Enter Stage Right
Beatrice Shakespeare Smith (Bertie): Our heroine.
Nate: A dashing pirate who will do anything to protect Bertie.
Cobweb, Moth, Mustardseed, and Peaseblossom: Four tiny, mischievous fairies, and Bertie’s loyal sidekicks.
Ariel: A seductive air spirit. Disaster follows in his wake, but Bertie simply cannot resist him.

Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the characters of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. The actors are bound to the Théâtre by The Book, an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of the actors, but they are her family. And she is about to lose them all because The Book has been threatened, and along with it the Théâtre. It’s the only home Bertie has ever known, and she has to find a way to save it. But first, there’s the small problem of two handsome men, both vying for her attention. The course of true love never did run smooth. . . .

What first drew me to this book was the beautiful artwork on the cover. I would walk into Chapters every other week and always pick up this book read the excerpt and book it back. Unfortunately at the time I didn’t have any extra money to spend on books so I had to wait. But the wait was worth it. Lisa knows how to take “boring” Shakespeare and make it interesting. I would have preferred to read her versions in high school.

My likes:

- New twists on famous theatre characters

- Bertie is a strong female type who doesn’t let any of the boys push her around

- I LOVE the fairies. They had the best dialogue throughout the book. They are always talking about cupcakes and other delicious treats. (I wanted to go buy a cupcake every time they talked about sweets) My favourite scene in the entire book is as follows:

Bertie snatched Moth from midair. “How do you feel? Any more free than usual?”

He paused to Reflect. “Yeah, but only because I’m not wearing underwear today.”

Cobweb and Mustardseed backed away from him. “You’re going commando?’

Moth nodded. “I forget to five Mrs. Edith my hamper this week.”

“Aw, man! I want to go commando, too!” Cobweb said as he reached for his trouser buttons.
Page 191 – 192

I was in tears laughing so hard at this scene it is my favourite

- Nate – I love me some pirate, and perfect for Bertie

- Ariel – Though I think I like him more for his gracefulness and looks. Don’t think he is the one for Bertie. He is for me

Dislikes:

- My only complaint is trying to understand how the Theatre work was confusing at first but Lisa explained it near the end.

Overall this is a great book for someone wanting to read something happier than vampires, ghosts and werewolves and loves classical theatre productions.

The Results:

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Would I let my 15 year old sister read: You Betcha

No course language or inappropriate sexual references.

Cassay Sig

10 comments:

  1. I just got this book -- and I'm thrilled to read you enjoyed it -- I cannot wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: my spambot prevention word was 'epunk'. V appropriate, I think! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 2nd one is even better :) I'm working on the review probably won't get to it until after my vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. here via ff. I haven't read this yet but from that one scene I think I need to go get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kare: I was seriously in tears over that scene laughing so hard. My family was looking at me like I needed help. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOH Fairies! I love them. I want to read this> GREAT REVIEW by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mindy! Its a really good book! The fairies make it for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I get to find out myself Cassay! I am so excited to get this book (can you tell)? The cover alone is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete