Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


August 11, 2010

Review: Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

clip_image003Thou art the black rider. Go Thee out unto the world.

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine, How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home – her constant battle with hunger and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power – and the courage to fight her own inner demons?

A wildly original approach to the issue of eating disorders, Hunger is about the struggle to find balance in a world of extremes, and uses fantastic trope to explore a difficult topic that touches the lives of many teens.
Excerpt from back of book

Jackie has created a novel that I believe with touch the heart of every girl that reads it. Any girl who has an eating disorder or has thought about it should read this novel. I guarantee it will change your prospective and will give you your second chance just like Lisa got her second chance. Throughout reading the book I felt the pain both Lisa and Tammy were feeling. I don’t suggest eating anything while you’re reading...there is a pretty graphic scene one of the character puking. Let’s just say my Chicken McNuggets did not like reading that and I was almost sick. I know very ironic that I was eating a super unhealthy meal while reading about two girls that can’t bear to eat anything. I felt pretty guilty.

Jackie also shows her character Lisa that she does have people that care about her well being. Even though at first Lisa is pissed and thinks they are just being insulting. Lisa is lucky that Death has given her a second chance to live her life. Most girls don’t get a second chance. Lisa realizes throughout the book that she does have a problem and has a support system behind her.

Two thumbs up to Jackie for writing a novel based on one of the biggest problems among teen girls. I hope that it will open the eyes of many and will help them to ask for the help that they need. Remember you will always have a support system behind you even if you don’t believe it. Your family and friends would rather have a happy and healthy daughter/friend then a sad and unhealthy or possibly dead daughter/friend.

The Results:

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Would I let my 15 year old sister read: Yes, I may force some of her friends with low self esteem to read it as well.

Minimum course language (If I remember correctly there is only 1 or 2 swears) and no inappropriate sexual references.

I would also like to thank Eleni from La Femme Readers for sending me Hunger.

Cassay Sig

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Im stopping by on the hop! Nice place you have here! Im a new follower! I have totally jumped on the vampire train! Can't wait to start following your reviews! Have an amazing weekend! : )

    breathlessbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. tu blog es genial.¿afiliemos,te sigo y me sigues? es en ingles epro ay traductor en el pagina. si te animas avisame
    http://checktheseblueskiesout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Becky and Angy!

    Becky - i love your lip pictures on your blog they are soo pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cassay,

    I have an award for you!

    http://johnsmithbooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-got-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review of Hunger - I hope it does help some teens with eating disorders. Found you thru the Friday Follow even tho' it is Sat. Life gets in the way of blogging. Hope you will drop by: Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    Love the blog name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks John!!
    Steph - i love your name too!

    ReplyDelete