Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


November 12, 2010

Review: Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

 

clip_image001Choose: A quick death and hell or slow poison and hell.

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear! Excerpt from Maria’s website.

Book Club on Facebook introduced me to Maria’s books and am I ever glad that they were on the suggestions page. Poison Study is set in a very interesting world with magicians who have been exiled from Ixia and Ixia has a strict political system.

Yelena is about to be executed but has a 2nd chance of life to be a food tester. Yelena is a very strong character she was put through hell during her teenage years and did the unimaginable to save herself which landed her in the dungeon. She doesn’t put up with any crap from anyone. If someone tries to pull a fast one on her, she hands it right back.

I do love me some Valek. He is one hot assassin. He is also very protective of Yelena, when no one else is. I must have a thing for fictional characters that are protective of the female lead. I;m starting to see a pattern here.

I did not want to put the down this book down. Maria kept my attention; I always wanted to know what was going to happen to Yelena next. I just couldn’t wait for work to be over so I could read at home.

I’m trying to get the BF to read this series because I think he will like it. It’s not a romantic novel but it does have some romantic parts but nothing a guy can’t handle and it is full of action.

Feel free to visit Maria’s website to learn more about her up and coming novels and well as short stories.

The Results:

Rating: 5 out of 5

Would I let my 15 year old sister read: My sister is mature enough to read this but you may feel yours isn’t.

There is reference to rape but no details are explained.

The Details:

Format: Trade Paperback
Dimensions: 416 Pages, 5.44 x 7.94 x 1.1 in
Published: March 1, 2007
Publisher: M I R A Academic Press
ISBN - 10:0778324338
ISBN - 13:9780778324331

 

Cassay Sig

3 comments:

  1. This has been on my TBR for a while but just never seem to get to it -- but I'm going to try for 2011, I think. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was awesome, I agree! I have to make time to read the rest of this series as I've heard good things about those books as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audra - You won't regret reading them!

    Emily - You have to read the other ones they only get better and better. I'll post my reviews of the next 2 this coming week.

    ReplyDelete