Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


December 7, 2010

Review: Laney – The Brookhaven Vampires by Joann I. Martin Sowles

clip_image002

What would you give to be with the one you love?
Would you give it all, including your life?
In a small college town in Northern California, Laney Alexander leads a regular, uneventful life–that is, until the charming and alluring Oliver Knight enters her world. Who is this gorgeous and mysterious stranger? Or, rather, what is he?
As Laney’s sophomore year of college begins, so does an unbelievable adventure–including a love she didn’t know she longed for. She soon learns that Oliver is not ordinary, nor is the rest of his family, including a sister who openly hates her and a brother who will stop at nothing for revenge. As she fights for her life, and Oliver’s love, Laney discovers that the fictional world of vampires isn’t so fictional after all. Nobody is safe, especially Laney, Oliver’s most important priority, and he will stop at nothing to protect her. With her mortality at risk, and a commitment revealed that she, without a doubt, knows she wants, Laney’s life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn…

I really enjoyed Laney. The first few chapters reminded me of Twilight and my first thought was it was going to be a lot like Twilight but it quickly turned into its own story.

I really like the mythology Joann used for her vampires. They are different from the majority of vampires out there. I also found myself giggling throughout the novel (the boyfriend looked at me funny many times) with Joann humorous writing. I enjoy the Twilight joke that Joann included in a effective way.

I finished this novel in one sitting I couldn’t put it down I needed to find out what was going to happen between Laney and Oliver. Oliver has been crowned the new “it” vampire. Edward please step down you have been over thrown. Oliver’s character is way more complex than Edward and he doesn’t look at Laney like he wants to eat her up. He only looks at her in his lovey dovey way. If Laney and Oliver were a real life people you would want to throw stuff at them and tell them to get a room their love for each other is so strong. Personally I’m jealous of it.

Laney is a great first novel to start the series. I can’t wait for the next instalment. I have soo many questions that need answering!

You can visit Joann on her website.

The Results:

Rating: 4 out of 5

Would I let my 15 year old sister read: Yes – but there is some sexual tension that younger readers may not be mature enough to handle.

The Details:

Format: Review Copy (Thank You Joann for sending me a copy)
Published: October 2010
Publisher: Brookhaven Publishing (Indie Author)
ISBN: 978-0-9844867-0-0

Cassay Sig

3 comments:

  1. I give it a 5 all the way. Twilight wasn't even in my mindset when I read this. I'm so over the Twilight madness. I want to be the one Oliver is making warm and mushy inside. Not to mention TWINS!! Yummy!

    I'm such a hoot. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe That is why I crowned Oliver as the new Edward lol(Edward has been replaced a few times now)

    I'm slowly getting over Twilight I think it will take until the movies are done to be completely over it

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) cant wait to read Cassay !!! am now hunting where to buy it :) Book depository dont have it :( ...
    Have to read it now !!!
    Thanks for the review
    kat ;)

    ReplyDelete