Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


December 2, 2010

Review: Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

 

clip_image002

 

YOU KNOW YOUR LIFE IS BAD WHEN YOU MISS YOUR DAYS AS A POISON TASTER

Yelena is on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago. Although she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways, and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better. Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magical training. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince, and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians. If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with her new enemies. Excerpt from Maria’s website.

This is the sequel to Poison Study and does the story get even better. Yelena starts her training in magic. This one reminds me of book 2 of Eragon seeing both Yelena and Eragon have to travel to different areas to properly learn how to use their magic. Both stories are very different though.

Yelena meets new characters some that cause her great pain. I mean both emotional pain and physical pain. I really liked this book because we get to know Sitia’s political views and how they feel about Ixia. We learn both sides and I for one cannot decide who is in the right and who is in the wrong. Both Ixia and Sitia have things I like/dislike about there political systems.

I was glad to see that some of Yelena’s friends from Ixia showed up to help her along the way with her dilemmas. I also love Kiki she is hilarious for a horse.

Overall this was a strong middle to the Study series.

The Results:

Rating: 5 out of 5

Would I let my 15 year old sister read: My sister is mature enough to read this but you may feel yours isn’t.

The Details:

Format:Trade Paperback
Dimensions:352 Pages, 5.46 x 7.9 x 1.16 in
Published:September 1, 2007
Publisher:M I R A Academic Press
ISBN - 10:0778323927
ISBN - 13:9780778323921

Cassay Sig

1 comment:

  1. I loved Poison Study and definitely need to read the rest of this series. I bought the Kindle bundle that has all the books as one file awhile ago, but haven't read it yet. I need to get to Christmas break so I can catch up on all the great series I started this year. Great review!

    ReplyDelete