Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


March 12, 2011

Review: CHIME by Franny Billingsley

Chime_cover

Briony knows she is a witch. She knows that she is guilty of hurting her beloved stepmother. She also knows that, now her stepmother is dead, she must look after her beautiful but complicated twin sister, Rose. Then the energetic, electric, golden-haired Eldric arrives in her home town of Swampsea, and everything that Briony thinks she knows about herself and her life is turned magically, dizzyingly, upside down. Excerpt from Bloomsbury.

I really liked the concept and story of CHIME. Briony's character is very interesting and complex. I was hooked on the book within the first two chapters but I found it really hard to understand certain parts of the book it seemed to flip from present time to Briony thinking about something in her past. I would have liked it was made clearer when we was switching times periods because for me it was hard to follow and seemed like Briony had A.D.D because she was constantly switching back and forth. But once I got use to the writing style it was easier to follow.

I really liked the story itself though. I was very intrigued by the “swamp” and the creatures that lived there. It’s too bad that we didn’t get to learn more about them. I really liked Eldric he is very charming and kind of reminds me of Johnny Deep in Finding Neverland. I love Eldric and Briony’s relationship they act like they are the best of friends and have a wonderful brother/sister relationship even though they aren’t brother/sister.

Overall, I felt that the story was good but the writing was hard to understand. If you like stories about witches this one is for you.

I would like to thank Kai from Fiction State of Mind for sending me her the extra copy she got at ALA along with VLAD TATTOOS! I <3 YOU KAI!

The Rating:

3.8 out of 5

Would I let my sister read: Yes

The Details:

Format: Hardcover (I read a review copy)
Dimensions: 320 Pages, 6.25 x 9.25 x 1 in
Published: March 22, 2011
Publisher: Penguin Young Reader Group
ISBN - 10:0803735529
ISBN - 13:9780803735521

Cassay Sig

3 comments:

  1. great review!!! i want this book

    JAPAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I want this book so bad!!!! Great Review!

    Am i supposed to say Japan at the bottom of these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts and opinions about the book. It sounds like a great read!!

    ~Sherry

    Sherry Soule Official Website

    Author of the Spellbound Series

    ReplyDelete