Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


April 2, 2011

Day 1–Immortal Blog Tour


Today, I am proud to kick off the Immortal Blog Tour! Gene was kind enough to answer a few questions. I am still waiting for my copy of Immortal to come in the mail Canada Post has decided to be a jerk and keep me in the dark on a book I’m sure to love.

Before we get started here is a little bit about Immortal (from Amazon.com)

resale-cover-immortal-jpg

I don't know how old I am. My earliest memory is something along the lines of fire good, ice bad, so I think I predate written history, but I don't know by how much. I like to brag that I’ve been there from the beginning, and while this may very well be true, I generally just say it to pick up girls.

Surviving sixty thousand years takes cunning and more than a little luck. But in the twenty-first century Adam confronts new dangers: someone has found out what he is, a demon is after him, and he has run out of places to hide. Worst of all, he has had entirely too much to drink.

IMMORTAL is a first person confessional, penned by a man who is immortal but not invincible. In an artful blending of sci-fi, adventure, fantasy and humour, Immortal introduces us to a world with vampires, demons and other magical creatures, yet a world without actual magic. It is a contemporary fantasy for non-fantasy readers and enthusiasts alike.

Now onto the interview:

What made you decide to write about an immortal man?

I’m not sure if I DID decide, or at least it wasn’t something that sprang up fully-formed in my mind. At the time the most creative thing I had been doing was blogging semi-regularly and writing the occasional humor column, and while I enjoyed this I wanted to try out some long fiction. My problem was that humor columns and blogs don’t really train you to write long fiction. So I tried to have it both ways: I created a fictional character that wrote like a funny blogger and happened to have been alive for a really long time.

An immortal blogger?


Well yeah. I tend to suck dry whatever non-fiction I happen to be reading when I write creatively. I once combined some science books I’d read about quantum mechanics, math books on chaos theory, the David Simon book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets and a one-panel cartoon from The New Yorker into a two-act play called Deus Ex Quanta. Mashing stuff together is what I do for fun. So anyway I’d been reading a lot of history books before I started Immortal, I knew a little bit about the science of aging from… well, something I read somewhere, I can’t remember what, and I’d read my share of fantasy books. Immortal is what came out.

gene-jr-pubs-0051-e1276298689193Did Immortal take a long time to write?

Not really. But it took forever to rewrite. The first draft took a few months, and my first drafts generally end up more like second drafts because I back-edit as I go. That is, I can’t let something I know is wrong continue to exist, so I go back and rewrite before I can proceed. It’s like walking down the street and taking one step back for every five steps forward. And I’m still learning how to edit myself well. I have this problem where, once something is written down, it becomes Permanent and True on some level even if it’s a horribly bad idea that needs to go away. This is probably why I don’t take notes: I’d have to use all of the ideas in them.

Adam, your main character, is not what most people would expect out of an immortal man. How did you arrive at his voice?

Well, he’s what I expect out of an immortal man. I remember talking about playwriting once with my theater professor; I made an offhand comment that life was like a play, but it was an incredibly long and boring play. With Adam, I imagined that play lasting for sixty-odd millennia.

I think most of us imagine that with a longer life comes greater wisdom and more access to Truths. But what if there aren’t any more Truths out there? To continue to survive an immortal man would have to continue to ingratiate himself into society—he would have to keep living a day-to-day existence—while everyone he ever knew would eventually end up dead and he would know this. So: he’s bitter, and sarcastic, and gallows-humor funny. He’s also clever because he would have to be to have survived for so long.

 

Thank You Gene! I can’t wait for my copy to come in the mail Smile

If you would like to order yourself a copy you can at:

Amazon.com

Kindle

Kindle UK

Nook

Kobo

Make sure to check out all the other blogs on the tour:

FIRST LEG

April 1: The tour launches with an introductory blog from Gene Doucette

April 2: Vamps, Weres and Cassay, Oh My!

April 3: Writing Insight

April 4: The Far Edge of Normal

April 5: Tuesday Curiosity

April 6: Astrid Paramita

April 7: The New Author

SECOND LEG

April 8: Bryan Thomas Schmidt

April 9: The Next Best Book Blog

April 10: Feeding My Book Addiction

April 11: McNeill Ink.com

April 12: Spencer Seidel

April 13: Thoughts That Get Stuck In My Head

April 14: Jenny Wrens Book Blog

THIRD LEG

April 15: Here’s What I Think

April 16: Life and Writing and Miscellany

April 17: The New Author

April 18: Thrillers R Us

April 19: Zee Monodee– Author’s Corner

April 20: Emily Rae Robles

April 21: The Unforgiving Muse

April 22: Erika Knudsen’s Blog

FOURTH LEG

April 23: By Sue London

April 24: Madison Woods

April 25: Angela Perry (contest!)

April 26: Zee Monodee– Author’s Corner

April 27: Books from the Verge

April 28: Librarium of Jaque Thay

April 29: Nothing To See Here

April 30: Angela Perry (Contest Winner!)

May 1: Concluding blog from Gene Doucette leading to:

May 2: Exclusive excerpt from Hellenic Immortal

Edit: April 2, 2011 9:41 AM Added 4th leg of the tour

Cassay Sig

2 comments:

  1. Immortal introduces us to a world with vampires, demons and other magical creatures, yet a world without actual magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for all the great info about the book,
    i would love to read it when i'll have a bit more time...
    tim.

    How to Attract Ladies

    ReplyDelete