Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


May 23, 2011

Review: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

 forest-pb-175

In Mary's world, there are simple truths.
The Sisterhood always knows best.
The Guardians will protect and serve.
The Unconsecrated will never relent.
And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village. The fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.
But slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power. And, when the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness.
Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death? Excerpt from Carrie’s
website.

This one took a while for me to get into it. This was the first zombie book I have read so I really didn’t know what to expect. I liked the world that Carrie has created after the “Return” (post apocalypse America).

I really liked Mary’s character because she wasn’t driven to make the decisions she made because of some boy. She made her decisions based on her dream to see the ocean. This was the most refreshing concept ever! It was nice not to read about a doe eyed girl. There is still some romance in the series but it doesn’t drive the main characters decisions – yes it does have some impact but it isn’t the main reason. Also, my name was in the book that always makes me happy J I’m a dork like that. (Thanks Carrie for using Cassandra – even though I’m sure you didn’t name the character after me. I shall pretend you did ;) )

The book is filled with sadness and death but it fits in the story so well. I can’t wait to read the companion novel The Dead-Tossed Waves and see where Carrie takes her world. She left The Forest of Hands and Teeth so open that there are so many ways Carrie can go with the story.

The Rating:

4 out of 5

The Details:

Format: Trade Paperback
Dimensions: 336 Pages, 5.13 x 7.94 x 0.75 in
Published: February 9, 2010 (Hardcover: March 10, 2009)
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
ISBN - 10:0385736827
ISBN - 13:9780385736824

 

Cassay Sig

1 comment:

  1. I just recently read all three of these books, and I really loved this one. A lot of people disliked Mary, but I really liked her. This was pretty much my first zombie book as well, and the Unconsecrated were so freaky! This had a slower pace to it, but I was totally sucked in by the narrative and trying to figure out what would happen in the end.

    ReplyDelete