Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


July 18, 2012

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent hc c(2)
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her. Excerpt and book cover from Veronica’s website.

 
Every time I walked into Chapters I get asked if I need help looking for something to read. I say no I’m just looking and they always ask if I have read The Hunger Games. I say yeppers and I LOVED it. Then they tell me that I HAVE to read Divergent because it’s WAY better than The Hunger Games. This goes on for a few more trips to the book store so I finally give in and buy the book to see what the fuss is about. I tried not to compare The Hunger Games and Divergent because The Hunger Games is on a pedestal and it wouldn’t be fair to Divergent to compare it.
BUT Divergent is no Hunger Games. It is still good don’t get me wrong and I loved it but it’s not The Hunger Games.
Why?
1) It didn’t leave me breathless (literally)
2) It didn’t make me need to stay up super late reading
So I disagree with almost everyone that it’s not better than The Hunger Games but it still is a 5 in my book and is one of my favorite stories. I’m just not going to say it’s better than The Hunger Games.
What I did like? One word for you Four! Damn who doesn’t want it just jump him??? You are kidding yourself if you say me! I don’t! Deep down you really wanna jump the Four.
I liked the characters and I like how everyone was placed in a district based on their personalities and how they become of age they can decide who they want to be. Tris’s relationship between the characters was interesting. I loved how she interacted with everyone. She lived by the golden rule. If you were a bully she was one right back. I liked how her relationship with Four grew through the novel. I didn’t see the ending coming it left me wanting more and I can’t wait to read the sequel.
The Details:
5 out of 5
The Details:
Format: Hardcover
Dimensions: 496 Pages, 5.88 x 8.63 x 1.62 in
Published: April 25, 2011
Publisher: HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS
ISBN - 10:0062024027
ISBN - 13:9780062024022

No comments:

Post a Comment