Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


July 20, 2012

Review: Evanescence by Alexandra Pelaez

 

Evanescence

Sometimes she’s Mercedes Strand; daughter of wealthy business owners, high school senior, star student, occasional gladiator in a one-sided mean girl brawl, and founder of the most successful women’s charities in the country. Other times she’s Countess; a master of cyberspace and code who helps abused women in ways Mercedes never could. But there’s no need to worry about developing MPD or anything because helping others is the ultimate goal. No matter the cost to herself.

Shadow isn’t like Mercedes. Apart from the fact that he’s a five-hundred-year-old vampire, he knows there is no escape from the torment and oppression he and his fellow Outcasts suffer under the ruthless elites of vampire society, yet hopes for something better. It’s a fool’s hope, so it doesn’t matter if he fatally provokes the elites even as he does their bidding. But the latest assassination attempt aims to deprive him of more than his life. Ambushed, tortured, and left for dead, his sense of honor is delivered the coup de grace when he nearly drains the life of an innocent girl to save his own.

However, he soon discovers she’s more than just innocent. She knows what the elites will do to her if they find out she foiled their plans, and makes clear her desire to fight. A desire that’s infectious…along with her.

Evanescence was a slow read for me. It is only 97 pages long and took me over 8 hrs to read. I put my e-reader down several times to step away from the story. I was a bit confused on the vampire hierarchy, I didn’t fully understand the rankings and how each vampire was classified. I liked Mercedes online persona Countess better than her real life persona. I liked how Mercedes who has everything in the world is giving back to others and helping women who are from abusive relationships. That was probably the only thing I liked about her. I didn’t like how she made everything about Shadow. It seemed like her strong independent personality went out the window when it came to Shadow, she was worse than Bella in my opinion. I also felt the ending was a bit rushed. I think I may have liked the story better if it was longer and explained things a bit better. The story may get better in books 2 and 3 but overall this wasn’t a story for me.

Special thanks to Alexandra for providing me with a copy to review.

The Rating:

2.5 out of 5

Where to buy:

Amazon

Cassay Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment