Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


January 28, 2013

Review: Fat Vampire By Adam Rex

 

Doug Lee is undead quite by accident attacked by a desperate vampire, he finds himself cursed with being fat and fifteen forever. When he has no luck finding some goth chick with a vampire fetish, he resorts to sucking the blood of cows under cover of the night. But it's just not the same.

Then he meets the new Indian exchange student and falls for her hard. Yeah, he wants to bite her, but he also wants to prove himself to her. But like the laws of life, love, and high school, the laws of vampire existence are complicated it's not as easy as studying Dracula. Especially when the star of Vampire Hunters is hot on your trail in an attempt to boost ratings. . . .

Searing, hilarious, and always unexpected, Fat Vampire is a satirical tour de force from one of the most original writers of fiction today. Excerpt from Chapters Online.

 

I was a little disappointed with Fat Vampire. I’m not sure if the humor just went over my head or what. But I just found it to be dumb and not funny. I heard such great things about this novel. People were saying they were in tears laughing or couldn’t stop laughing. I was starting to wonder if I was reading the same book. I talked to Kristilynn from Reading in Winter about it on Twitter and she said that it was very dry humor. Which dry humor usually I just don’t get.

I think my main issue with the story was Doug. He was a class A douchebag. I honestly couldn’t stand his character. So what you’re stuck being a chunky vampire instead of a hot sexy vampire like Eric from True Blood - doesn’t give you the right to be an asshole to your best friend. I just couldn’t get over his douchebagness.

I get that the book was making fun of other vampire books (well I hope that was the case) but it was just done in a bad way in my opinion. I definitely had  a hard time getting through the novel it seemed to take forever to finish it.

I also didn’t like how the perspective would change between Doug/Sejal/The TV producer. I was really confused when it change perspective until I read one of their names then I got where we were. Can’t we use lines or stars or name titles to show the change?

Overall, Fat Vampire wasn’t a novel for me.

 

The Rating:

2 out of 5

The Details:

Format: Hardcover
Dimensions:2 88 Pages, 6 x 8.53 x 1.08 in
Published: May 23, 2012
Publisher: HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS
Language: English
ISBN - 10: 0061920908
ISBN - 13: 9780061920905

Cassay Sig

3 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't like this one. I have it on my shelf, but haven't started it. To be honest, it's pretty low on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad you didn't like this one! I got it from the library and just started reading it one day ... I do like dry humour, even though it can sometimes go over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad that I didn't like it either. Maybe my hopes for it were to high.

    ReplyDelete