Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


April 6, 2013

3rd Annual Tax Event: Guest Post by Kristilyn @ Reading in Winter

To kick off the 3rd Annual Break Cassay Out of Tax Jail I have fellow Edmonton Book Blogger and our ring leader Kristilyn from Reading in Winter to talk about Canadian Authors. She also set up her blog post in a way that all I had to do was copy and paste it :) How awesome is that??? Yep, she's awesome.

____________________________________________________

Although I have lived in Canada all my life -- I was born here! -- I really haven't completely gotten into a lot of the wonderful Canadian literature that's out there. As I went through my bookshelf just recently, I noticed that I had a lot of unread Canadian books on them, but very few that I had actually read. After this, I went online and searched for some Canadian authors -- there is a great deal of authors on the lists I found that grace my shelves, as well as some authors who I had no idea were Canadian. From my point of view, here are the top Canadian authors I think you should be reading. For some of these authors, I've read plenty of their works, and others I know I need to read more of.

canadian authors-01

michael ondaatjeMichael Ondaatje

“She had always wanted words, she loved them; grew up on them. Words gave her clarity, brought reason, shape.”

Michael Ondaatje is still such a new author to me, but he's one of those authors who I know I should be reading. Case in point, I've had The English Patient and Coming Through Slaughter on my shelf for a long, long time. Maybe I feel intimidated to crack them open, but they're there for the day when I finally feel like I should sit down and devour them. I did read The Cat's Table last year and while it wasn't my favourite novel, it was still pretty good. Ondaatje has received tons of praise and I can definitely see why. Author of: The English Patient, Coming Through Slaughter, The Cat's Table

Ami McKay

“What do you want? Love. Well, love gets what she wants one way or another.”

Ami McKay is another new author to me. While I have The Birth House on my shelf, I'll admit that I haven't ever cracked it open. It wasn't until I won a copy of The Virgin Cure that I finally decided to read some Ami McKay -- and I was quite impressed! The Virgin Cure was such a unique book and quite the intriguing read. It made me very excited to try out The Birth House one of these days.

Author of: The Birth House, The Virgin Cure

Courtney Summers

“You only get to walk variations of the same lines everyone has already drawn for you.”

Courtney Summers is one of my new favourite authors. I had gotten an eBook of Cracked Up to Be and read it right away -- it was such a good read and very accessible. I was impossibly excited for This is Not a Test because the trailer for it scared the crap out of me. It's nice to know that Canada has some great YA talent -- I know that Courtney Summers is one that I will be keeping a close eye on!

Author of: Cracked Up to Be, Some Girls Are, This is Not a Test

Nick Bantock

“in the caves of my heart, where pain taps out its rhythms and sorrow sets its loss, i am without direction.”

Nick Bantock is one of those authors that I had to include on this list because of how unique his books are. I remember my sister-in-law talking about one of his books, long, long ago. She pulled out a copy of Griffin & Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence and I immediately knew I had to have a copy of it. This series is one of those series that I love to pull out and flip through because it's just so beautiful. If you're into artsy-type books, this is a series you need to have. It's gorgeous.

Author of: Griffin & Sabine, The Golden Mean, Sabine's Notebook

yann martelYann Martel

“It is true that those we meet can change us, sometimes so profoundly that we are not the same afterwards, even unto our names.”

Yann Martel is one of those authors that I have been reading for YEARS. There are very few authors that I can say that about, but I remember reading Life of Pi -- devouring it, actually -- and being completely in love with Martel's style of writing. Shortly after that, I picked up a copy of Self and fell in love, and just recently read Beatrice & Virgil. I think there's only one of his books I haven't read and it's only because it's a non-fiction ABOUT books and I don't want to ruin some of the reads mentioned in it for myself. Yann Martel is one of those authors you MUST have on your shelf. He's pretty awesome.

Author of: Self, Life of Pi, Beatrice & Virgil, What is Stephen Harper Reading?

alberta crowd-01

M. R. Merrick

“Whoever said death couldn't be measured was wrong. Death was a football field. Death was a sprint. Death was measurable distance I wasn't fast enough to reach.”

I am just a brand-new M. R. Merrick fan these past few months. I had no idea that such great Canadian talent rested right here in Alberta! His Protectorate series has received lots of great praise and it's one that I've enjoyed so far. I definitely look forward to reading more by Matt!

Author of: Exiled, Shift, Release

Janet Gurtler

I was lucky enough to find out about Janet Gurtler after receiving an ARC of her book Who I Kissed from Raincoast Books. It wasn't until after I finished it that I realized she was from Calgary, Alberta. Janet has quite the catalogue of books -- one that I'm looking forward to working my way through.

Author of: Who I Kissed, I'm Not Her, If I Tell, How I Lost You

---

And that's it! I know there are so many other authors that I should be reading, from Kelley Armstrong, to Todd Babiak, to Joseph Boyden, and there are also others who I've read and loved, from Margaret Atwood, to Lawrence Hill, to Kenneth Oppel. Canada has a great wealth of literary talent and I look forward to finding more of it!

Who are some of your favourite Canadian authors?

signature-01

____________________________________________________

 

Thanks Kristilyn for stopping by!

17 comments:

  1. Great post Cassay/Kristilyn! I haven't read a ton of Canadian authors, but I loved Anne of Green Gables when I was younger and am gearing up for a L. M. Montgomery marathon at some point! I've also enjoyed Thomas Wharton and Alissa York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! You know, I haven't read ANY of the L. M. Montgomery books, but I really should one of these days. Everyone says such good things about Anne of Green Gables!

      Delete
    2. I love, love LOVE Anne of Green Gables :)

      Delete
    3. Anne of Green Gables never really interested me. The future sis in laws love it though.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post on Canadian authors! In the YA genre, there's also Denise Jaden, Megan Crewe, Arthur Slade, Eileen Cook and R.J. Anderson only to name a few!

    Sometimes it seems like YA Canadian authors who write genre fiction or write for American publishers aren't really considered Canadian. It's kind of strange...

    Anyhow, great post! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! :) I didn't even realize there were so many YA authors from Canada! I know Megan Crewe and Eileen Cook have been on my wishlist. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
    2. There's soo many that I've never even heard of! Thanks for the list :)

      Delete
  3. Love the variety of books and authors you've recommended.

    You MUST read The Birth House! It's so good.

    Have you ever read Douglas Coupland? I think you would like his stuff. He's one of my favourites, Canadian or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of either of those but I shall look into them

      Delete
  4. I keep saying - you must check out another of my favourite Alberta authors, Pauline Gedge. Wonderful stories about ancient Egypt (And one about Queen Boudicca in England during Roman time)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound like books my mom would like. I should mention them to her.

      Delete
    2. I agree! They're really good, probably appeal to just about anyone.

      Delete
  5. I know my brother LOVED the Kenneth Oppel books! And I absolutely LOVED what I read of Anne of Green Gables

    ReplyDelete
  6. What! I did not know that Nick Bantock is Canadian! That makes his books even cooler :)

    Yes, you MUST read The Birth House - it's one of my favourites. I read Joseph Boyden's Three Day Road and really liked it. Kelley Armstrong is Canadian? I did not know that! Also, Kenneth Oppel's Half Brother was so good! And at least with that one, it's a standalone novel - so no big series commitment there! Haha.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley was the 1st Canadian autho I read and I am soo smitten with her lol

      Delete
  7. Kelley Armstrong is my favorite author... and Canadian! I don't usually focus on the country of origin of authors I read, unless it features in the work they create (for good or bad reasons).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find most authors are American, I'm very bad and just assume they all are. Then I'm in shock it find out otherwise lol

      Delete