Notice:


As of June 9, 2012 I will no longer be accepting e-books for review. This is due to the overwhelming
demand of reviews, work and night classes taking up a lot of my spare time. It
is taking me several months to read and post reviews therefore until “my to be
reviewed list” is smaller I will no longer accept any more e-books for review.
I am extremely sorry.


July 5, 2014

Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

Picture


The Details:

Source: ARC from NetGalley. Thank you very much!

The Rating:

4 out of 5


Princess Lia is First Daughter of the House of Morrighan, a kingdom steeped in tradition, duty, and the stories of a bygone world.  She flees on her wedding day, shirking her duty, but is determined to marry for love and not to secure a political alliance.
Pursued by bounty hunters, she finds refuge in a distant village and settles into a new life, hopeful when two handsome strangers arrive.  She doesn’t know that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her.  Deception abounds and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—even as she finds herself falling in love. Excerpt and cover from Mary’s website.

I've decided to start branching out a little bit on the genres that I've been reading. When I read the synopsis of The Kiss of Deception I thought it sounded interesting even though it wasn't in my normal genre. I'm glad I read it because I really enjoyed it. 

One of the things that I like were the chapters that were from the perspective of The Prince and The Assassin or the Chapters based on the names they gave. From the beginning I pegged each of the guys are either The Prince or The Assassin and each time they had a chapter there was something written that made me think “oh crap I’m wrong” and then the next chapter “Yep! I’m right boo yeah!” I totally loved that feeling it was great to be going back and forth even if I just wanted to know who was who because the suspense was killing me.

I liked Lia’s character she’s different from most princesses and willing to get her hands dirty. I loved her interactions with her friends and the two boys. The courtship between Lia and each of the boys was interesting it was fun, sweet and sometimes romantic. It’s these scenes that make me wonder why I don’t read more contemporaries.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and I look forward to learning more about Lia, each of the boys, and the history behind the world that has been created.

 

Cassay Sig

3 comments:

  1. I've heard super mixed reviews on this one, but I'm really into high fantasy lately so I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this one too. I decided which guy was which and stuck with it and then was completely wrong and had to spend a good 3 chapters trying to retrain my mind as to which was which.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Welcome Alex!

    Haha Megan that would be hard to rethink everything. This was the first time ever that I have been right usually I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete